Group: Hope all of you are enjoying the summer – and hopefully enjoying it at a pool!
A lot of good things are happening in aquatics so I thought I would give you a mid-summer update:
- First, please visit our website – alexandriaaquatics.com – it has changed significantly from its previous self. More pictures; more videos; more interesting facts; more up to date information; more everything. We have made a conscious effort to make it a state of the art site with the most current news. Some of the updates below will be summarized and you can see more about them on the website. Also please let me know if you have any ideas to further improve the site.
- The combined efforts of AAA, the City, and the DASH bus system has made possible free bus service to the Old Town pool from the areas affected by the closure of Warwick this summer. Please see the website for much more, but all of AAA should be pleased to have made this possible. It’s a first in Alexandria. And just to check it out, I rode the free bus (the AT10 route) to and from the Old Town pool today! No problems.
- The work on the new pool at Warwick has started! Soil testing has begun along with an assessment of the repairs needed to the existing building. This will lead to design plans and community input into the new pool anticipated at Warwick. The new pool should be a reality there by the end of 2016. See the City’s notice of testing on the website.
- Along with the good news at Warwick, there is also progress at Chinquapin. The soil testing and geological work will begin there next week. This is crucial to determine the cost of the 50-meter pool there. The consultant should have a revised cost estimate by this fall.
- The highly successful Family Fun Nights at Chinquapin will continue through the summer. The next one is scheduled for Friday, July 17th and will feature Mount Vernon Elementary School. But remember – everyone is welcome along with the students of Mount Vernon.
- We will be adding a volunteer sign-up tool to the website by this weekend. We will use the Sign-up Genius application to allow any of you to sign-up for volunteer work to help out AAA and overall aquatics in Alexandria. We are starting with a volunteer table at the Old Town pool on Saturdays for 2 hours (12:00 to 2:00) to inform swimmers about aquatic developments in the City (basically things like this update) and to recruit new members for AAA. We’d like to have as many of you AAA members volunteer as possible as we try out this web application. If it works well, we will see about expanding it to other items. If you get a chance, Jeanne and I will be at Old Town this weekend to kick things off. Come on by and say hello!
Please let me know if you have any questions.